Rock Riding School
The foyer displays a 700 m2 fresco of a riding technique called "Turkenstechen". The premises have been occupied by the Salzburg Festival since 1926. The open-air theater is ideally suited for operas and concerts and also for the spoken theater. It seats a total of 1,549.
In 1693 a former quarry on the flank of Mönchsberg mountain was converted into the Archbishop´s summer riding school based on the designs of J. B. Fischer von Erlach. The Felsenreitschule has been used since 1926 for open-air operas and theatre productions produced in conjunction with the Salzburg Festival; In 1968-1970 the Felsenreitschule was redesigned by C. Holzmeister, who also installed a roof.